Family at Easter

Family at Easter
We hate to take pics!

Friday, September 25, 2009

Please, oh, Please...Let US READ!

Ah, another Friday. Today at school with my 8th graders who also were also my 7th graders last year, we had so much to do. We NEEDED to review parts of speech; we NEEDED to have peer conferences about our first authentic writings; we NEEDED to go over the Blog page we were going to use. But, my precious charges whined, "Mrs. W. PLEASE let us have a reading day. Okay, they twisted my arm. It was the guys turn to grab a blanket, a pillow, a mushroom chair, and make their "nest" on the floor. After a two-minute warning, we all settled it with a good book. Some were reading about vampires; others were reading about their favorite sports figure; some had mysteries and horror stories. We all curled up (yes, these are 13 and 14 year-olds) and just "bathed" in the quiet of the room. It seemed like the the entire world had been sucked into this 20 X 20 space, along with the myriad of characters. It was one of those days when i just wanted to take a picture, and freeze the moment. I made my nest right in the middle of them and read Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan.

Now, my weekend has begun, and again, though I planned to come home and either pay bills or clean house, I just sat down and relaxed beside Jim. He is on #11 chemo treatment. It just feels right to be still while he has to be still.

Tomorrow I'll rise and shine, clean the house, and pay the bills, and give God the glory, glory!
I hope this weekend doesn't seem to slip away like the last one did.

No comments: